Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Community College, not just for losers any more.

Today I took my final exam in General Physics at the local community college.

Having graduated from a four year university (in four years and a summer) I enrolled in this physics class to meet prerequisites for a graduate program. My teacher, a mid-thirties airplane enthusiast, was a great guy. Very approachable and knowledgable. I must confess I was pleasantly surprised.

The class was very basic, as is to be expected with "general" course, but not really challenging. For example, I needed 71% on the final to maintain my A in the class. I did enjoy myself though, and learned practiacl applications for many things that were a mystery to me before. A mystery mainly because my high school physics class consisted mainly of sitting around and playing with the aparatus of the week while ridiculing the teacher. (But that's a different story)

This class was filled with relatively intelligent people. There were some morons, some burnouts, a couple of old guys, and several non-resident aliens. A pretty diverse group.

It was fun, and stimulating. I think everyone should seek to contiune their education once they are officially "done" with school. It not only keeps the mind sharp, but lends a helping hand to realize you don't know everything. Even if you've been at the same job for 10 years and have conquered your field of choice, you are an idiot in someone else's field. So the more you seek knowledge, the greater your chances of being able to discuss intelligently with people outside of your social bubble.

So pick something, it doesn't have to be physics, and learn. Use your brain. Make it work. It will thank you.

If all else fails, think of this quote from the indominable Homer Simpson, "Alright brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, but lets just through this and I'll keep killing you with beer."
Its not really a relavant quote, but think of it. Its funny. Laugh!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?